Monday Musings for January 8, 2024

 Here we are again, another Monday. We had a huge snowstorm over the weekend, which was even more harrowing than usual, because we had family racing across the country to arrive in Albany before the snow started, and then my husband had to somehow make it down there and back up here (a 5+ hour round trip) before the roads got too bad. Thankfully, it all worked out, there were no flight delays and no luggage lost, and everyone was home and cozy and toasty by the time it started to come down. 

It snowed all day yesterday, and we took Tucker outside multiple times to chase snowballs and run around. The chickens weren't so happy, though, and mostly just stayed tucked in the coop all day under the warm heat lamp. It snowed late into the night, which wasn't part of the original forecast, and this morning is predictably beautiful with clouds and sun and everything frosted in light, powdery, sparkling snow. 

I spent a good portion of yesterday afternoon sitting with some music homework I've been working on for Andrew Molina's Uke-Jitsu program. I have my "purple belt" (second level) test this Thursday, and I feel totally unprepared, but I'm gonna just fucking do it. 

The most valuable thing I've taken away from that course so far is a series of formulas for playing chords up the neck of the ukulele. Huzzah! I've been trying to figure this out for four years, and now I finally feel like I can (sort of) move my songs up and down the neck of the uke. 

Today is going to be a sort of busy day. Have to keep the fire going to keep the chill out of the house, do some dishes and clean the kitchen, study my butt off for my ukulele test later this week, and get a couple of blogs written and maybe record a couple of songs. 

All the astrology and shamanic practice people that I follow are talking about how January is a good month to plan and get your isht together, so I need to keep working my way through my new planner that arrived last week. I'm still just in the first section, but hey, what else do I have to do?

This week, I'll also be recording another podcast with my dear friend and teacher/mentor, the Rev. Debbie Philp, so that should be fun. 

Also arriving this week should be a fun digital collection of sheet music from the 1920s-40s that has been scanned from historic sources like universities and music schools and arranged for ukulele. Might be a good time to break out my soprano ukuleles and put some new strings on them and do some time travel through music. 

So on that note... It's time for me to finish my tea and a cookie and go take care of my chickens and then to the wood stove before I get to writing and dreaming and planning. Watch this space for more fun stuff this week!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ukulele Major Scale Patterns

Monday Musings for October 2, 2023

Monday Musings on Tuesday, December 12, 2023