6 Ukulele Accessories Every Uke Player Needs

Yeah, because of course once you have a ukulele, you'll find that playing is easier and probably more enjoyable if you have a few ukulele accessories. Remember that everything is negotiable when it comes to outfitting your uke, but in the last year of playing the ukulele (and since I started playing the violin at the age of 7), I've found that it's the little things that make my musical life easier.

  • A great tuner. So, just to be clear here, you don't necessarily need to go out and buy a tuner - there are plenty of great tuning apps you can find on your cell phone for free. (G Strings is my favorite tuning app, but there are lots of others that include things like metronomes.) That said, if you want a good tuner for your ukulele, I'd recommend a clip-on style tuner. These can be found in a wide range of prices, from around $5 up to $30 or $40. What you spend on your tuner is entirely up to you, but like I always say - you get what you pay for.
  • Ukulele strap. You don't necessarily need a ukulele strap, but having one (or two, or three) makes it a lot easier to play standing up so you don't have to grip your instrument so tightly in the crook of your arm. If you have a strap button on the bottom of your ukulele, you can just get a regular guitar strap and use the ties to attach it to the top above the fretboard. If you don't have a strap button, you can install one yourself, or take your uke to a music shop or luthier and have them do it for you. If you don't want to install a strap button, you can always try something like the Hug Strap or the Uke Leash  that don't require a strap button and don't hook into the soundhole on your uke.
          I've been wary of using the straps that hook into the soundhole of a uke. Not only do they not
          provide a lot of security, but also they can actually damage the edges of the soundhole over time. 
          (And if you have f-holes instead of a center soundhole or a soundhole that's located on the upper
          part or side of your instrument, those straps are useless, anyway.)
  • String winder. It sounds crazy, but when you're changing the strings on your ukulele, having a little tool to help you quickly wind and unwind those tuning pegs can make a world of difference. Sure, you could sit there and crank by hand, but if you're restringing a baritone or tenor uke, that's gonna take some time. Trust me. These handy little bits cost about 7 bucks on Amazon, and make changing your ukulele strings quick and easy.
  • Capo. For the times when you need to change the key of your music, a capo is probably the easiest way to make your music match your vocal range. Sure, knowing how to transpose at sight is a valuable music theory skill, but you know what? There are some days when I just wanna play, so I slap that capo on my fretboard. Get a capo that's designed specifically for the ukulele so you don't have something huge and bulky getting in the way, and you're ready to start playing in any key.
  • Music stand. When my son started playing the trombone, I made it fun for him by buying him his very own music stand. So when I started playing uke every single day, I invested in a music stand for myself, too! Just like the other accessories I mention here, there's a wide range of styles and prices for these extremely useful tools, so find one that fits your needs and your budget.
  • Ukulele case. I know a couple of people who take their ukes and just toss them in a tote bag to bring them to gigs or practice or lessons. I am not those people. When I take my uke out of the house, I want to have a good, protective case - and the prettier, the better. In this instance, I would say maybe splurge a little for a better case for your uke, and consider buying a hardshell case for your more expensive acquisitions.
I'm sure as I go along, I'll find more ukulele accessories that I need to add to my collection. And why not? Have a little fun with your instruments. Make some music.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ukulele Major Scale Patterns

Monday Musings for October 2, 2023

Monday Musings on Tuesday, December 12, 2023