My Top 5 Ukulele Recommendations For Beginners

Since I started this blog, I've had a lot of people asking me what I think the best ukuleles are for absolute beginners. Not that I'm an authority on ukes (I mean, I've only been playing for what, 15 months now?), but I decided to put together my top 5 ukulele recommendations for beginners. If you've never ever picked up a ukulele before, here are a few ideas to get you started. Even better, most of them are $100 or less, so it's not a huge investment!



1. Kala Learn to Play Soprano
This was the uke I got started on, and I can't recommend it enough. It's the perfect size for someone who has never touched a ukulele or a guitar before, it's a solidly built instrument, and the projection is really quite good. 

2. Kala Exotic Mahogany Concert
See a pattern here? (Don't worry, there are other ukulele brands out there besides Kala, I promise.) That said, this concert size ukulele is really stunning for the price. Like the Learn to Play series, it's a solidly built instrument that's even prettier with it's blue stained wood, and the projection and tone are everything you'd expect from a much more expensive instrument.

3. Luna Vintage Mahogany Pineapple Soprano
Luna guitars and ukuleles are insanely beautiful and sound incredible for the price. While this uke didn't feel as solidly built as my Kala ukes, I love the classic pineapple shape and the projection is fantastic. A classic addition to your collection!

4. Enya Nova U Carbon Fiber Concert 
Enya is relatively new to the ukulele game, but their instruments already have a solid reputation for quality, sound, and playability. The Nova U carbon fiber uke is so much fun - it comes in a sweet range of colors, the tone is comparable to other more expensive ukes, and the price is budget friendly for just about everyone.

5. Lanikai Kohala Tiki Concert Uke
Like the other makers I included here, Lanikai makes ukes that are as pretty as they sound. I'll be honest: I only own one Lanikai as of the writing of this blog (a 5 string tenor), I've played on the Kohala Tiki concert uke, and for the price, it is a sweet instrument. Big sound, cool color, and totally budget friendly.

So there you have it! Any one of these ukes would be an awesome instrument to get started with when you're learning how to play the ukulele. As always, the best way to test out any new ukulele purchase is to go to your local music store and try it out before you buy it. That said, with things the way they are in the world right now, I would feel confident recommending any of these ukes sight unseen to the brand new player. Have fun!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ukulele Major Scale Patterns

Monday Musings for October 2, 2023

Monday Musings on Tuesday, December 12, 2023