The 5 In 5 Songwriting Challenge

 I know, I just wrote an entire blog about how to survive Mercury retrograde as a songwriter or a musician, and of course, the number one thing to remember about Mercury retrograde is to not start anything new or take on any new projects, but...

The 5 In 5 Songwriting Challenge starts on Monday. 

So, eff it. I'm gonna do it this time. 


I've lurked before and downloaded the prompts from the Facebook group to save for use at a later date (I have a whole bunch of notebooks full of prompts that I can call up whenever I get in a writing rut), but this time I'm dedicating the entire week to writing one song a day - and potentially two on Friday, when I start ANOTHER songwriting challenge/workshop. (But I'll blog more about that one in a few days as we get closer.)

It's a fun challenge, and it's totally free - you get 5 songwriting prompts every day for 5 days, and your mission (should you choose to accept it) is to write 5 full songs every day for the 5 days. Bonus points (not really) if you record and share your song in the associated Facebook group. 

The hardest part of this whole thing for me is going to be setting aside my inner critic and my desire/need to do everything perfectly right off the start. I mean, that gets me nowhere. So what if I write five totally suck-ass songs? That just means I'll have written five totally suck-ass songs and I'll have gotten them out of the way so I can write some GOOD stuff. 

So at the end of the next 8 days, I could potentially have 8 new songs to work with. Some of them might be great, and some of them might be totally sucky. But at least I'll have gotten their bones down on paper and I can take it from there (or not). 

AND this songwriting challenge is open to anyone on any instrument - so even if you don't play ukulele, it's still a fun thing to do. And if you DO play the ukulele, it's a fun way to push yourself outside of your comfort zone. 

Let me know if you decide to sign up for the challenge, and maybe we can co-write or share our songs!


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ukulele Major Scale Patterns

Monday Musings for October 2, 2023

Monday Musings on Tuesday, December 12, 2023